Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Student Driver




I've been extremely fortunate to be a part of the Sports Car Club of America, competing in both the Solo and Club Racing programs since the age of 5 years old. I've grown up around cars, and they have become my passion, likely for life.
As of the 2014 season, I have become an SCCA Solo instructor. I really enjoy instructing on the Autocross course, I love seeing the enthusiasm from the students, and seeing their satisfaction when their times begin to drop as the day progresses. 

While improving my teaching skills, it has also enhanced my skills as a driver as well. As an instructor, I have learned to quickly adapt to the different dynamics of different cars, by being required to demonstrate the skills needed to shave time on the course in cars that I had never thought I would step foot in. I've been lucky enough to try many cars in the Solo setting, from the typical BRZs, FRSs, Mini Coopers, and Miatas, to the less common Peugot 505s, Caterham 7s, and Acura NSXs.

All of this, while on my learner's permit, yes, a learner's permit. Hence the name, "The Student Driver". Apparently an SCCA Road Racing Competition License doesn't help me slide through the 30 hours of classroom session, 6 hours behind the wheel with an instructor, and a dreadful 9 months of anticipation for when I can drive myself places on my own without a passenger for guidance. This included the Autocross course, where I cannot compete on my own until I have a full state driver's license. I even managed to bring my in-car driver's ed instructor along for the ride as my required passenger at a regional autocross event:


Check back frequently, I will be sharing my experiences behind the wheel of anything I can get my hands on!

4 comments:

  1. Driver needs to very much careful when driving the car. No matter how hard the situation are the entire taglines are very much in demand to promote the approaches to run longer version for all. therefore before starting the educational belongings in precise manner each step is necessary to all.

    ReplyDelete