Thursday, October 30, 2014

Fiat Follow-Up: Dealer Leases Abarths Like They're Porsches

http://www.fiatusaofbloomfieldhills.com/v8/templates/193/f04/images/welcome-fiat.jpg

For those of you that missed my previous write-up on the Fiat 500 Abarth, I am happy to say that I must've done something right in my automotive journalism career thus far, as I actually persuaded someone's opinion based on my own opinions (cool huh?). Not long ago I received a text message from my uncle, Matt, who is looking for a 2nd (reliable, new) car to add to their lineup. The text message was exactly this;

"What are your thoughts on the Fiat 500L?"

I try to be as honest as I can with everyone, so of course my response was,

"Well, you have seen what it looks like, right?"

Learning that they weren't necessarily looking for another crossover-SUV to coincide with their Honda CRV, I mentioned to them how much I loved the new Abarth, and they should read my latest post all about it. Shortly after, they left their house en route to Heritage Fiat in Owings Mills, to go test drive the 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio. I was really excited, because I realized that I had not only just saved someone from potentially buying what really is Chrysler's rendition of the Pontiac Aztek, but in addition convinced them to go look at one of the coolest hot hatches offered in America today. 

Questions followed such as, 

"Would we look good driving in it?"
"Would you have to hide from your friends if we pulled up in one?"
"Is it a 'mom' car?"
"Would an 'I heart my dog' sticker look good on the back?"

They don't have a dog, and it turns out they don't want one, so they were really getting tricky with the questions. But the Abarth managed to pass the test, the 500L did not.

 Pictures were included in the decision-making

Eszti, my aunt, loved the Abarth, and before going inside to talk numbers, they called me up to check everything out. Just to help them figure out the options they may want, the things they would want to stay away from, etc, etc. 

I didn't really do anything before they were sold on the car. They wanted a lease, so they had the sales representative go back to his manager to get them a monthly payment. Any guesses on the price? I don't think anyone could've predicted this... $0 down, $700/mo FOR A FIAT. No, they weren't looking at Porsche Caymans, this is a $26k Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio. The dealer was willing to sell the car to Matt and Eszti for $26.1k including all of their options. What would you end up paying at the end of a 3-year lease? $25.2k after 36 months. They must expect the Fiats to nearly obliterate themselves into a million, tiny, non-salvageable pieces by the time they receive the car back.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/28c8e967570a1aa8c0c359180d86f78e/tumblr_n6wqptj2zz1td670bo1_500.gif
More than likely stealing money from mermaids.

They were completely serious, blaming it on "Fiat having a poor lease program". At this point, the manager came over to likely prove to us he was sober, and offer us some explanation. I pointed out to him that Fiat USA advertises the Fiat Abarth 500 starting at $299/mo for 39 months, with $1,699 down. He pointed out that that wasn't for the Cabrio, and it didn't include all the fees to get you in the car on the road. He was correct. So here are my rough numbers after having some time to think about how that made no sense; 

$357/mo for 36 months
357x36= $12,852
$2,705 down payment
+2,705= $15,557

Well, unless there is $10k in taxes and other elements I'm missing, they are fairly far from reaching the numbers on Fiat's website. The manager's rebuttal landed "in the 5s", so likely $599 a month, not even on the same planet as what they were looking for. Needless to say, Matt and Eszti did not leave that day in a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio.

So Heritage Fiat of Owings Mills, I would like to congratulate you in driving Matt and Eszti right into the arms of Scion and their fantastic 2014 FR-S. They are very pleased with it so far.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent article! We are linking too this particularly great post on our site. Keep up the great writing.
    sober driver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you i did really need this topic you share a very nice information about the Driving it's great work.
    Driving

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do these events bring people together to race cars, but also give them a chance to catch up with family, friends, and colleagues. Learn more about sports racing on this link.

    ReplyDelete